The Art of Moksha Marquardt
I'm an American artist living in Seattle Washington. I studied commercial art in Seattle in the early 90s. Although I had an introduction to painting at that time, I'm mostly self-taught. The addictive process of endless experimentation has led me down all sorts of rabbit holes and the joy of discovery is my motivation to continue on this path. The creative process is my passion and my way to connect to spirit, and sharing the secrets I find with others further feeds this passion.
Undoubtedly growing up in the PNW has had the deepest influence on my work. My subject matter comes almost entirely from nature and there is a noticeable lack of man-made elements in my work. I'm searching for a way to communicate the emotional experience of being in the woods and finding so much life and death slowly dancing together. The circle of life is present in nearly all my work in one way or another.
Since 2015 I've been live painting for festivals and events up and down the West Coast. It's been a phenomenal opportunity to grow and connect with people. I'm available to work events and parties. Check out my live painting page for more info, photos and videos. Yes, I'd love to paint at your event if I'm available that date; please reach out to me through email.
I love the collaborative process that evolves while working with a client on a painting. Please contact me with inquiries about commissioned work. I'm in the process of putting together a page with detailed info but until then you can email me directly here.
My prolific output is primarily traditional but I also worked in the computer games industry for over 20 years so I'm proficient with digital tools as well. I worked as a designer, art director, 2D and 3D environment artist and writer in the game industry. While I don't spend nearly as much time on the computer these days, all that I learned from this 23 year career undoubtedly comes out in my traditional work.
In 2017 I joined Praxis Arts, a Seattle artist collective. It serves as a beautiful art studio and an event space where I teach art and a meditation class every Sunday. We have monthly featured artists on display and open our doors every second Saturday to art walk. You can also come here for other events like yoga classes and sound baths.
Since 2013 I have been displaying and selling my paintings and drawings in the Seattle area. Below is a list of some of the shows from the last few years.
- April 7th-9th 2018 "Lucidity Festival" Branches Mobile Gallery, Santa Barbra, CA
- November 2nd 2017 "Revelation Road Trip" AXIS Gallery, Seattle WA
- August 2017 "Spectral Visions with Luke Brown" 2312 2nd Ave, Seattle WA
- May 2017 "Terrarium" 2312 2nd Ave, Seattle Ave, Seattle WA
- April-May 2017 "Dream and Vision" Victrola 15th Ave, Seattle WA
- December 2016 “Seattle Group Show” Praxis Arts, Seattle WA
- *November 2016 “Death and Serenity” Praxis Arts, Seattle WA
- *September 12th-December 31st 2016: "Changes" Victrola, Amazon, Seattle WA
- *July-August 2016: "Drawings" Flying Apron, Seattle WA
- July 21-24th 2016: Cascadia NW Art and Music Festival, Granite Falls WA
- June 2nd 2016: "Strange Paradise" Axis, Seatle, WA
- *February 12th 2016: "Eye to Eye: A Solo Exibition" Urban Light Studios, Seattle WA
- *November-December 2015: "Origins" Victrola, 15th Ave, Seattle WA
- *October-Novemebr 2015: "Halloween Show" Rebar, Seattle WA
- *September-October 2015: "Phantom Limb: Seven New Paintings" Victrola, Pike St, Seattle, WA
- September 3rd 2015: "Trace Amounts" Purple Cafe, Seattle WA
- July 23rd-26th 2015: Cascadia NW Arts and Music Festival, Granite Falls WA
- *November-December 2014: QCafe, Seattle WA
- *December 2013- February 2014: Victrola, Pike St, Seattle WA
- *September-November 2013: Victrola, Amazon, Seattle WA
- *June 2013: Victrola, 15th Ave, Seattle WA
*designates a solo show
Finally, take a look at my calendar of upcoming events and classes if you want to know what I'm up to.